So another year has come and gone. Here’s where I was a year ago and where I’m at today:
- This time last year my hip hurt like hell and a month from now (last year), I couldn’t ride my bike anymore. August came and I had surgery to get a new hip and I’m completely healed (physically, economically, it may be awhile, but I’ll take it!)
- My daughter was on the down-slide of her senior year in high school…she’s now on a one month winter break from the art college she attends in D.C. I’m amazed at the changes we both have gone through in the last year…she’s become quite the young woman and I’m very, very proud of her.
- My son was a sophomore in high school and had just finished a successful JV football season. He played Varsity this year and although he only started on special teams, he took advantage of the opportunities he did get on second string and will very likely be the starting safety next year on Varsity. But that’s not the news. This kid is now a STRAIGHT A student! He’s worked his frickin’ ass off and he amazes me on a daily basis at his commitment and discipline. He’s an awesome man and I’m loving watching him find his way.
- Those things right here ought to be enough, but here’s a few more tidbits…
- I found my passion for writing again and started this blog as well as the seeds of a memoir and a novel…who knew?
- I’m still employed. Admittedly in a job that I really don’t like most days, but I’m more than grateful to be employed and have a job that allows me to have health insurance for my kids and I and a solid 401K. I also have a management team that really is pretty darn special and I’m very grateful for that. However, it’s time to continue to reach out and find a way to make a living doing something a little less stressful (trust me, Retail is the most grinding job I have ever had…WAY more stressful than being a Fire Captain or Paramedic…my hat is off to all those who dedicate their live to this often thankless career)
- College was just a dream this time last year, but a week from today, I’m going to camp out at the counseling office at the JC I signed up at to get some direction for this upcoming Spring semester. I plan on taking just one class to get back in the swing, then dedicate as much of my time and money as I can to get an Alcohol/Drug Counseling certificate then on to a Bachelors of Arts in English…
So, in retrospect…not a bad year. I’m blessed beyond my wildest dreams despite my selfish desires and I pray for continued humility, tolerance, love and discipline in the coming year. Hats off to 2012…2013, I hope to tackle you one day at a time.